Tuesday, January 31, 2012

"Devotional Cinema" Response (Joshua)


The idea that film can be powerful and even scary is something that has stayed with me for most of my life. The beginnings of such a power began with my father and his collection of Star Trek episodes on VHS. Considered hokey by today’s standards, the story and action of certain episodes affected me on a visceral level back when I was child. While filmmaking technology has progressed by leaps and bounds since then, cinema itself still holds the same power that it did back when I was young. This is what inspires me in my own filmmaking, a singular experience that brings together unknowns and evolves them into something that is known.

There have very few films that have changed the way I look at the world and how it works. I can count on my hands how many films that have done this. The idea that Dorsky puts forth in his book regarding how cinema changes how one sees the world is something that is lost in today’s cinema. In my filmmaking I hope to broaden this idea and make it more accessible to the viewing audiences.

Too many films are on the extreme edges of what they wish to represent. One side is the experimental genre, which alienates a majority of the viewer public, and the other is the soulless moneymaker of big budget Hollywood. Through his view on how cinema can be viewed, it is my belief that films can go between these two extremes and can be both entertaining and enlightening, and be able to reach a broad audience. In my present and future filmmaking I hope to achieve this. I see the benefits that the two extremes can have. When put together they can create an experience that resonates and changes a viewer. Films have had and still have the power to change the way we view the world, it is my hope that my filmmaking can propel this change to both new and old audiences. 

No comments:

Post a Comment